The story of OSF HealthCare Little Company of Mary Medical Center begins with a spirit of compassionate service that traces back to 1877, when Mary Potter founded the Little Company of Mary Sisters in Nottingham, England. When three Sisters arrived in Chicago in 1893, they began caring for the sick in patients’ homes, offering the same loving care to rich and poor alike. That mission soon grew into Little Company of Mary Hospital, which opened in 1930 and became known for compassionate care and groundbreaking achievements, including the world’s first successful human kidney transplant in 1950.
Today, as part of OSF HealthCare, the medical center continues this legacy – serving the community with advanced technology, clinical innovation and a steadfast commitment to serving with the greatest care and love.
1877: Mother Mary Potter founded the Little Company of Mary order in Nottingham, England.
1893: Three Little Company of Mary Sisters arrived in Chicago from Rome at the request of Charles Mair, a Chicago civic leader. Charles Mair provided a small cottage for the Sisters at 4124 Indiana Ave.
1893: The Sisters started caring for the sick in the homes of patients and stayed as long as needed. Rich or poor were all treated the same.
1897: A new two-story brick building, Convent of the Maternal Heart of Mary, was built in front of the original wooden convent.
1897: Archbishop Feehan dedicated the Sisters’ new chapel and convent.
1902: Plans were announced for a $12,000, three-story addition to be added to the Maternal Heart of Mary Convent.
1926: The Auxiliary of The Little Company of Mary held its first meeting.
1929: Bishop Sheil officiated the cornerstone program for the new hospital.
1930: The four-story, 150-bed Little Company of Mary Hospital opened, located at 95th Street and California Avenue.
1930: A school of nursing was opened in conjunction with the new hospital. The first class had 10 students.
1930: Cardinal Mundelein, with the help of over 200 priests, dedicated the new Little Company of Mary Hospital. A procession and other festivities followed the ceremony.
1931: Little Company of Mary School of Nursing was established.
1945: A new, four-story nurses’ home was dedicated.
1947: Construction began on a new addition, followed by a $150,000 fundraising campaign.
1948: A football game was held at Soldier Field between St. Leo and Mount Carmel high schools with proceeds going toward the building fundraising campaign.
1949: The new, five-story addition was completed, making total capacity 350 beds.
1950: A groundbreaking was held for a new, five-story, 86-room convent for the Sisters, who at the time had been living in a portable frame building on the hospital grounds since 1934.
1950: Drs. Lawler, West and Murphy performed the world’s first human kidney transplant at Little Company of Mary Hospital.
1952: A new, $750,000 convent, located adjacent to the hospital, was blessed.
1953: Mother Mary Potter was beautified by the Vatican.
1955: Two more floors were added with 100 more beds.
1956: A school of medical technology was established. The program was open to students between ages 17-30 with two years of completed college course work.
1960: A cobalt unit was established, with financial help from the auxiliary.
1960: A new, $5 million addition was completed, adding 130 beds, chapel and administrative offices.
1963: The first graduation for The School of Inhalation Therapy was held with six graduates.
1966: A Cardiac Intensive Care Unit was opened.
1967: Construction began on a two-story, $1.4 million nursing school building.
1971: A Neonatal Intensive Care Unit was opened. The state-of-the-art department was equipped to handle all critical types of illness, both medical and surgical.
1972: The school of nursing closed. Over the school’s 42-year history, 1,399 students graduated.
1973: A new automatic clinical analyzer was installed, the second such machine in Chicago with this advanced technology.
1977: The Sisters of Little Company of Mary celebrated 100 years as an Order.
1980: The Little Company of Mary Hospital celebrated 50 years of service to the Evergreen Park community.
1985: The Little Company of Mary Hospital opened the Care Station in Oak Lawn to provide routine medical treatments seven days a week.
1987: A cardiac catheterization lab opened, providing new diagnostic capabilities.
1988: The Little Company of Mary Cancer Center was dedicated.
1988: Mother Potter was made venerable by Pope John Paul II.
1990: The Parkside Recovery Center at Little Company of Mary Hospital and Health Care Centers offered alcohol and drug treatment programs.
1990: The Mobile Medical Care Program was established to meet the needs of homebound patients. It was the only program of its kind operating in the southwest suburbs.
1991: A five-bed Pediatric Critical Care Unit opened to treat pediatric patients that require 24-hour monitoring by physicians and nurses.
1993: The Mary Potter Physicians Pavilion was blessed and dedicated.
1996: The BBC created a documentary about the world’s first human kidney transplant surgery, which was performed at Little Company of Mary Hospital, called “Knife to the Heart.”
1996: The Health Education Center was opened at the Chicago Ridge Mall, allowing easier access to health-related resources.
1998: The Health Education Center opened at Evergreen Plaza Mall.
1998: The Monsignor Thomas S. Obrycki Physical Therapy Center opened in honor of Monsignor’s 44 years of spiritual leadership to Little Company of Mary.
1999: Little Company of Mary Hospital Cancer Center affiliated with the Medical Oncology Group of the University of Chicago Hospitals begins treating patients.
1999: A groundbreaking was held for the expansion of the Cancer Center.
1999: The first annual Beverly Breast Cancer Walk was held with all proceeds going toward women’s health services at Little Company of Mary Hospital.
2001: Cardinal George blessed the new, 33,000-square-foot cancer center addiction. Services included alternative medicine, tai chi and yoga classes.
2001: The new Diagnostic Center at Little Company of Mary Hospital and Health Care Centers on Harlem Avenue in Palos Heights, was opened.
2004: The $2.8 million emergency room renovation and 3,000-square-foot expansion project was completed.
2004: The Little Company of Mary Hospital celebrated the birth of its 200,000th baby.
2004: A 5,400-square-foot senior health facility opened near 95th Street and Halsted Avenue.
2005: A 40-slice CT scanner was added, which offered a non-invasive way to visualize coronary artery disease with CT coronary angiography.
2006: Added daVinci robot technology to treat prostate cancer. It was the only community hospital in Chicago hospital to offer that treatment.
2007: Little Company of Mary was the only hospital in Chicago area to offer both HDR brachytherapy for prostate cancer and the daVinci robotic prostatectomy.
2008: First hospital in the U.S. to perform intra-operative radiation using a new transportable radiation machine for breast cancer.
2009: Little Company of Mary offered noninvasive endoscopic ultrasound, a highly advanced technology usually only offered in university hospitals.
2012: The eight-story, 300,000-square-foot West Pavilion was completed. The Comprehensive Center for Women’s Life and Health and the Comprehensive Breast Health Center were housed in the new facility.
2012: The Outpatient Care Center in Oak Lawn. was opened.
2014: A time capsule was installed outside the West Pavilion.
2015: The Center for Complete Wound care was blessed after extensive remodeling.
2016: The University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center at Little Company of Mary Hospital was formed to offer expanded cancer care, specialized treatments and clinical trials.
2019: A medical office building opened on 111th and Central Avenue in Oak Lawn.
2020: A special Mass was held to celebrate Little Company of Mary Hospital joining OSF HealthCare as OSF HealthCare Little Company of Mary Medical Center.
2024: Plans were announced for a new world-class electrophysiology lab to treat heart arrythmias.
2025: OSF CompleteCare 55+, a 6,500-square-foot facility located at 9855 S. Western Ave., opened with a ribbon cutting ceremony.
2025: A new obstetrics emergency department was opened to provide timely care for pregnant and postpartum patients.